Quiet Lake is the largest of three lakes that form the headwaters of the Big Salmon River system. The 28-km lake was named in 1887 by John McCormack, one of four miners who prospected the Big Salmon River from its mouth on the Yukon River to its source. Although they did find some gold, the river and lakes have become better known for their good fishing and fine scenery. Until the completion of the South Canol road in the 1940's, this area was reached mainly by boating and portaging hundreds of miles up the Big Salmon, Teslin or Nisutlin rivers.
→ Next Canol Road Equipment
← Previous The Canol Road