Coal Mine Campground - Junction with Robert Campbell Highway
Travelling Campbell Region
The Campbell Region in general is lightly developed and used, making for pristine wilderness, quiet campgrounds, good fishing, and good wildlife opportunities. While the (mostly) gravel highway is fully maintained, travellers are cautioned to slow down when approaching on-coming traffic, to drive with headlights on at all times, to pay particular attention to ore trucks and to drive cautiously on the somewhat narrower road sections between Ross River and Watson Lake. Faro and Ross River provide all necessary services for travellers.
Robert Campbell Highway
Yukon Highway #4 was named for the region's first Hudson's Bay trader. Campbell traversed much the same country as the highway when he explored from the Liard River watershed to the Yukon River watershed by way of the Pelly River in 1843.
Today, the highway provides access to the communities of Faro and Ross River and various mining operations. It also provides adventurous travellers with an extraordinary alternative to the Alaska Highway route from Whitehorse to Watson Lake, taking them through the remote, spectacular wilderness of central Yukon.
Village of Carmacks
Present day Carmacks is located on a traditional First Nations fishing and trading site. For countless years, members of the Northern Tutchone congregated at the confluence of the Yukon and Nordenskiold Rivers to trade with coastal Indians and fish for salmon. In 1892, George Washington Carmack, who would later be involved in the discovery that precipitated the Klondike Gold Rush, established a small trading post here. The town continued to develop after he left as a central supply and stopping point for river and overland travellers between Whitehorse and Dawson City.