This site was the busy intersection of the Ridge Road and a spur road to Grand Forks on Bonanza Creek. Captain John David Murray, formerly of the sternwheeler Canadian, built Murray's Roadhouse here in 1899. By 1900, James Henry Downing was managing the inn. Four buildings, two on each side of the road, housed a stable, bar, restaurant and offered accommodation for 15 people. The spur road to Grand Forks was very steep. Freighters used this difficult route but could not load their wagons to capacity. Most residents of Grand Forks preferred to use the narrow and sometimes boggy trail down the creek.